Creating and managing delivery methodsEdit on GitHub
This topic describes how to create and manage shipment methods.
To start working with the delivery methods, go to Administration > Delivery Methods.
Once you decide to add a new shipment method, make sure that you have a carrier company to assign a shipment method on the list of delivery methods. If you don’t have an appropriate carrier, see Creating a carrier company. You also need to make sure that you have an appropriate tax set in the Taxes > Tax Sets section, see Taxes.
Review the reference information before you start, or look up the necessary information as you go through the process.
Creating delivery methods
A delivery method is described by:
- Delivery price (how is the price for a delivery calculated?).
- Delivery time (what is the estimated time for the delivery?).
- Availability (when is the delivery method available?).
To create a new delivery method:
In the top-right corner of the Delivery Methods page, click +Create new delivery method. The Create Delivery Method page with three tabs opens: Configuration, Price & Tax, and Store Relation.
On the Configuration tab, enter and select the following attributes:
- Delivery Method Key
Keep in mind that it will be visible on the Storefront.
- Availability Plugin
- Price Plugin
Regardless if you have multi-currency prices with multiple price modes or just one simple static price, the price plugin has priority over those prices and allows you to customize and apply logic over delivery price calculation.
- Delivery Time Plugin
The fields marked with * are required.
To activate the delivery method, select Is active.
On the Price & Tax tab, do the following:
- Define the price for the delivery method per specific locale;
- Select the tax set from the drop-down list. The values are taken from the Taxes > Tax Sets section. For more information, see Managing tax sets.
On the Store Relation tab, select the stores in which the delivery method should be available.
- To keep the changes, click Save. This redirects you to the Delivery Methods page, where you can see the new delivery method on the list and the following message: ‘Shipment method has been successfully saved’.
Reference information: Creating delivery methods
The following table describes the attributes you see, select, or enter while viewing or editing delivery methods.
|Delivery Method Key||Fixed value of the delivery method indicated in the database.|
|Name||Name for the delivery method.|
|Carrier||Drop-down list of carrier companies available in the shop application.|
|Availability Plugin||Drop-down list of the Availability plugins implemented in the back-end. The purpose of this plugin is to check if the delivery method is available for the customer.|
|Price Plugin||Drop-down list of the Price plugins. You can either provide a static price for your delivery method or select a configured price plugin.|
|Delivery Time Plugin||Drop-down list of the Delivery time plugins implemented in the back-end. The purpose of this plugin is to calculate the estimated time for the delivery method.|
|Is active||Checkbox that allows enabling or disabling the delivery method.|
Editing delivery methods
To update the values, you have entered during the delivery method creation:
- For the delivery method you want to update, in the Actions column of the Delivery Methods page, click Edit.
- Update the needed values.
Keep in mind that Delivery Method Key cannot be edited.
- To keep the changes, click Save. For more details on the attributes, see the Reference information: Creating delivery methods section.
Tips and tricks
This is how the Back Office setup looks in the online store:
Viewing delivery methods
To view details of a delivery method, in the Actions column for the delivery method you want to view, click View. On the View Delivery Method: [Delivery Method name] page, you see three sections containing delivery method details: Configuration, Store relation, and Price & Tax. For more details on the attributes you see on the page, see Reference information: Creating delivery methods
Deleting delivery methods
Deleting a delivery method has no impact on your previous purchases.
To delete a delivery method:
- For the delivery method you want to delete, in the Actions column, click Delete. This redirects you to the Delete Delivery Method page.
- Under Are you sure about deleting this delivery method?, select one of the two options:
- No, I want to keep this delivery method if you want to cancel the deletion of the delivery method. This redirects you to the list of delivery methods.
- Yes, delete this delivery method if you want to delete the delivery method. This deletes the delivery method and redirects you to the list of delivery methods.
For submitting the form