Managing CategoriesEdit on GitHub
This topic describes how to manage categories:
- How to define an order according to which the products are going to be displayed.
- How to view, edit, and delete categories.
Ordering Products in Categories
You can adjust the order in which products under the category are displayed in the store. To define the order of displaying products, you need to set the numbers under which each product will be displayed on the page.
For example, you have ten products assigned to your category. For five of them, there is a seasonal discount applied. So you need those to be at the top of the list.
To change the order of products:
- Click Assign Products in the Categories table for a specific category.
- Scroll down to the Products in this category section.
- In the Order column, set numbers 1-5 for specific products.
In case you have several products with the identical order number value, the ordering will be performed based on the product name attribute.
The product with 0 in the Order column will be displayed at the bottom.
Before updating a category, you can view it to make sure that this is the needed category.
To view a category:
- In the Actions column on the Category table view page, click View.
- You are redirected to the page where you see some general information about this category, like:
- is the category active
- is it visible in the category tree
- what products does it contain
- in case if the category template is set to any CMS-related one, you will also have a chance to navigate directly to the Edit CMS block page by clicking the hyperlinked CMS block name in the CMS Blocks section.
- To return back to the Category page, click List of categories in the top right corner.
There are two ways to navigate to the Edit Category page:
- While viewing a specific category, click Edit in the top right corner of the View category page.
- Click Edit in the Actions column on the Categories table view page.
There is no difference between how you will initiate the flow. In any event, you will be redirected to the same page.
To edit a category:
- Click Edit.
- Update the needed values. See Category: Reference Information.
- Click Save.
What if the category needs to be deleted? If at some point of time you need to delete a category, you will use the Category page.
To delete a category:
- For the category you need to delete, click Delete in the Actions column.
- On the Delete category page, you will be provided with detailed information about everything that will be de-assigned, moved, or deleted along with that category.
- Select the checkbox next to Yes, I am sure to confirm your awareness and click Delete.
Products assigned to this category will not be deleted. They will be de-assigned and continue to exist in the system. If the same products are assigned to other categories, they will stay assigned to those.
Tips and tricks If your category contains any nested categories, you can re-sort them by a simple drag-and-drop action:
- To get to Re-sort View, click Re-sort child categories for a specific category on the table view page.
- Once in Re-sort View, play around by dragging & dropping categories.
- Once you see the correct order, click Save.
For submitting the form